Getting the best insurance rates for type 1 diabetics is much easier than ever!
You’ve probably heard that applying for life insurance with Type 1 Diabetics will always be expensive. Don’t believe everything you hear! Type 1 applicants receive very affordable rates due to improved medical treatment and by using proper maintenance procedures for their condition.
We speak with a number of type 1 diabetics that do have a trying time getting a good life insurance plan with affordable premiums. This is simply due to the fact that they have not dealt with an agency that works with the high risk medical conditions that we do.
Some companies will not offer life insurance to type 1 diabetics
Some of the companies that will offer coverage for type 1 diabetes will be at a very high cost. The same goes for people with dangerous occupations or hazardous sports. This is why you must apply with the most applicable life insurance company. Don’t worry though, because there are a number of excellent companies that have no problem with diabetes either it being type 1 or type 2. These will be the only companies we will recommend to you.
How difficult is it to buy life insurance for type 1 Diabetics?
Finding the best life insurance policy for someone with diabetes can be a daunting task for some insurance agents. We have over two decades of experience helping folks secure life insurance for diabetics and other high risk factor medical conditions.
Just keep in mind that the more controlled your diabetes is the more lower your premiums may be because of the reduced risk factor. This is especially true if are generally in good health other than your type 1 or 2 diabetes. We shop the market with all the top rated carriers which many of these offer the most competitive rates for your condition.
Here are just some of the questions the insurers will ask:
- Do you smoke cigarettes or use any other tobacco products?
- Are you overweight or obese?
- Do you have any other medical conditions other that diabetes?
- What chronic medications do you take?
- What is your height & weight?
- Does diabetes run in your family?
- What are your past a1c levels and current reading?
- How old were you when you were first diagnosed?
- What type of insulin do you use such as Novolog, Humalog, Lantus etc?
- How many units of insulin do you take each day?
Questions such as these will be asked by the insurance companies and ourselves so we may properly pre-screen your condition. This will allow us to properly choose the most appropriate company for you to apply with.
What are the prerequisites to getting the best life insurance rates?
- Does not have hypertension (high blood pressure)
- Does not smoke or use any tobacco products
- Has an A1C of 7.0 or less
- Exercises regularly and has a healthy diet
- Does not have any diabetic related complications
- Has glucose under 130
- Was diagnosed after the age of 50
What if I am a female with Gestational Diabetes?
Anytime a woman is pregnant, the female body naturally becomes more resistant to insulin. This is perfectly normal and the life insurance companies totally understand this. This is actually done by the body in order to nourish the babies with additional glucose.
When a woman’s body needs more insulin to process the excess glucose in blood. The pancreas simply secretes more as needed. If the pancreas does not keep up with the increased demand for insulin for any reason, blood sugar levels may rise too high.
This is usually because the cells aren’t using the extra glucose fast enough. The end result is called gestational diabetes. The good part is gestational diabetes is normally temporary condition. Most insurance companies are not very concerned about this. The number 1 concern is if the diabetes continues after the pregnancy has concluded and now becomes type 2 diabetes. As long as there are no indications of diabetes after the pregnancy, obtaining low rates on your life insurance application should not be an issue at all.
To qualify for the best rates, you need to meet these basic requirements:
- Type 1 diabetes (juvenile form) – You must be over the age of 30 years old and be able to maintain constant a1c levels of below 7.
- Type 1 diabetes (adult onset) – You must have a a1c level of below 7 and it must be at least 1 year since your diagnosis of diabetes.
- Complications due to diabetes – If you have any complications such a skin conditions, eye related issues or foot problems. You may have a more difficult time getting the best rates possible. This will also be based on just how serious these 3 conditions happen to be at the time of the application.
- Use of medications and testing programs – The insurance company medical underwriters alway look for good consistent follow-ups with your doctor. There will usually have to be proof provided in the form of medical records to back you information up. This will help you to secure the best term life insurance rates you could qualify for.
Best life insurance companies for diabetics with no medical exam required
- Mutual of Omaha – Type 1 and 2 diabetes with a maximum diagnosis age of 50 and a face amount up the $250,000.
- Assurity Life – Controlled type 2 diabetes only. Up to a $50,000 face amount.
- American National – Controlled type 2 diabetes only with a maximum diagnosis age of 50 and a face amount up to $250,000.
- Sagicor Life – Controlled type 2 diabetes without insulin used. A maximum diagnosis age of 50 and a face amount up to $500,000.
- 5 Star Life Insurance Co. – Type 1 and type 2 diabetes. Up to a $100,000 face amount.
- United Home Life – Type 1 and type 2 diabetes. Up to a $50,000 face amount.
- North American – Controlled type 2 diabetes without insulin used. Diagnosis age up to 40 years and a $500,00 face amount.
The best Life insurance companies for diabetics with a medical exam required
- Banner Life – Controlled type 2 diabetes with a face amount up to $500,000.
- Prudential – Controlled type 1 and type 2 diabetes with a $20,000,000 face amount.
- Protective Life – Controlled type 2 diabetes only. Up to a $10,000,000 face amount.
- American National – Controlled type 2 diabetes and some type 1 cases. Up to a $1,000,000 face amount.
- AIG American General – Controlled type 2 diabetes with a diagnosis age of 30. Face amount vary by age.
Applying for coverage with our agency
Our application system consists of the most simple and quick application process in the industry. We use the modern high tech SnapApp application system. All this is in reality is a very refined telephone application that will save you time and allow you to explain all your answers to the questions.
Take a moment to read our understanding the application process blog post to get to know what to expect when putting in an application.
Use our websites quoting system to see your options
If you activate our websites quoting system you can compare instant life insurance quotes. To make it simple, pay special attention to the Prudential insurance company. They are one of the very best life insurance companies for type 1 diabetes. Use the “Standard” health classification in the drop down menu. You should get an idea what your rates may be if you were to apply. We can run a quick medical pre-screen for you so you get a more accurate prediction of your obtainable rates.
Our final word
I hope this blog post has given you a better understanding on how Type 1 Diabetes works when applying for life insurance. The best option for you is to complete out Medical Prescreen form that you will see in our navigation menu above and let us begin finding the best insurer for your condition. You can call us 7 days a week to get your questions answered and you can also set up a time to talk on the phone at your convenience.
All the best,