Purchasing life insurance for NRA members is simple, but keep in mind the NRA does not sell life insurance
I have been an NRA member all of my adult life and I will always continue to do so. I love the National Rifle Association and in my opinion they are one of the greatest organizations ever created. The one fact you probably don’t know is, they do not sell life insurance. They have never been in business selling life insurance as I will explain below. If you are shopping for life insurance and you are an NRA member, this article will answer most of your questions.
Most people have a total misconception about the NRA life insurance advertisement
Even though this ad is not considered false advertising, it reels in a lot of fish for this insurance agency in California. However this kind of advertising gives consumers the idea that the NRA is going to give them special rates on life insurance and this is not going to happen.
This is the exact wording on the NRA website:
“Individual Term Life”
“Let us help you get life insurance checked off of your “to-do” list. Life Insurance Central guides you through the process until you’re covered”.
Enough talk about our friends at the NRA, here is how we can help you:
- Our agency shops a very large market of companies which exceeds over 40 top rated carriers and our list continues to grow.
- We are not a large call center that runs an assembly line of agents that have to meet a quota of policies sold each day. We take our time to make sure we have always find the lowest rates available.
- Every applicant is carefully pre-screened before we have them apply with any company which eliminates any underwriting surprises later.
- We submit applications to multiple carriers to see what carrier will offer the best rates.
- It is very common for us to check with several other companies after our new client has been approved just to double check for any other rates which may be lower.
How can you make sure you are getting the lowest rates possible?
The easiest way to make sure you are going to get the best rates possible is to have your agent run a quote on his software with all the most competitive companies. You may be looking at over 20 companies compared side by side. This will give you an idea of what companies will be the best choice to apply with.
If you have any medical conditions, a medical pre-screen would be recommended. This is a simple process of determining what company will give you the best offer. Your agent would simply communicate with the various companies underwriting teams. There is no cost for this.
Most of the conventional Term life plans are “cookie cutter” plan designs that only differ in price only. There is no reason to pay any more than you have to for the same exact policy design.
How your rates are determined
These are the basic categories the insurers look for to determine your health classification.
- Health History (Medical Conditions)
- Tobacco Use of any Form
- Occupation (hazardous types)
- Sports & Hobbies (dangerous types)
- Driving Record
- Parental Health History
- Medications Used
- Height & Weight
Common mistakes most people make shopping for life insurance
- Navigating from one website to another looking at the same companies. You will actually be reviewing the same companies and exact same premiums over and over.
- Quoting life insurance plans and using the default health class of “Preferred Best” where in reality this is a rate class you may not even qualify for. If you have relatively serious health conditions, it is best to stay off the quote engines and consult an agent.
- Quoting face amounts that will be more or not enough of what you actually need. Feel free to use our face amount calculator.
- Review plan designs that you don’t understand such as Term, Whole Life and Universal Life.
The best way to find the best plan design with the lowest rates
- Find a life insurance website you like with a quote engine and stay put. The rates will all be the same.
- Learn how to understand the health classifications and use the one that applies to you.
- Carefully calculate and choose the face amount you are really going to need to satisfy your specific financial liabilities.
- Do your research on the different types of life insurance plan designs before you even look at premiums.
Keep one idea in mind, the quickest and most efficient way to shop for life insurance is to simply connect with an independent insurance agent and let him do all this work for you! This is his job and there is no cost or obligation for an agents help.
What type of life insurance should you buy?
You have three main choices in plan designs.
- Term life insurance – Keep in mind that term life insurance is a temporary product. These plan designs will pay a death benefit during a specified term period usually between 10-30 years.
- Universal Life – This permanent form of coverage referred to as universal life will stay in force for the life of the insured.
- Whole Life – This is the oldest form of life insurance in existence. The plan design known as whole life insurance provides permanent coverage with the addition of a cash value savings component.
Term life insurance is the number one choice with absolutely no close second. Term has the lowest premiums and because of this, you can purchase a higher face amount (death benefit) and still be able to afford the premium.
If you find you need a permanent policy, Universal Life would be the product for you. Whole life insurance is far too expensive to ever be cost effective. Whole Life is usually used for final expense policies and policies for babies and young children.
What companies have the best rates?
There are many excellent life insurance companies you can choose from. The best life insurance company is going to be the company that offers you the best rates. This will depend on your specific information such as age, health, occupation, and lifestyle. We work with over 40 top rated companies but here is a basic list of some of the ones with the lowest rates.
- Banner Life
- Protective Life
- John Hancock
- American General
- Principal Financial
- American National
- Lincoln Financial
- SBLI (Savings Bank Life Insurance)
Our Final thoughts
It always pays to take your time shopping for life insurance. Reach out to a licensed independent agent that specializes in life insurance and get the professional help you need. They can make the whole process easy and straightforward. We will be happy to answer any of your questions you may have concerning life insurance with no cost or obligation.
All the best,
*If you would like to set up a specific date and time to discuss all your options and how to secure the lowest rates, just click on this link.